Let’s start with a test?
Can you pick out the words in this paragraph that might be harmful to a patient:
‘I was told by my specialist that my scans showed some moderate degenerative changes in my spine and that this was a cause of my pain. That I would have to live with it and there was nothing that could be done. I went for a second and third opinion and was told I could have an injection and if that didn’t work a spinal fusion.’
How did you get on? Would you like to know more?
Questions to ask yourself:
- Am I aware of the medical terminology I use could be causing more harm than good?
- I see patients that are worried about scan results, am I able to interpret them in a way that is reassuring?
- I see patients fixated on medical terminology explained by another clinician, am I able to explain it in a different way?
- Am I able to explain medical terminology in a simpler way that makes sense to my patients?
- How many of us could put our hands up and say that we educate our patients? the answer would most likely be a majority. If I asked a second part to that question, “how many of us were taught how to teach patients?” I would assume that may be less hands would go up.
This webinar will enable participants to:
- Recognise and understand how medical terminology can be confusing and alarming to patients
- Recognise the gap between pain and damage associated with diagnostic imaging
- Explore novel and methodological approaches to healthcare
Paul works as a physiotherapy pain consultant for a leading physiotherapy provider in New Zealand. He has a special interest in understanding persistent pain and has developed and expanded his knowledge over a 10 year period. Paul’s work includes writing for the naked physio blog and more recently created the naked physio natters podcast, which focuses on interviewing New Zealand clinicians to harness and deliver their extensive knowledge and expertise to the New Zealand public. In addition, Paul is a practice based educator committed to providing practice-based education to a variety of healthcare professionals.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS WEBINAR IS ONLY OPEN TO NZ CLINICIANS.
ONLY 10 SPOTS AVAILABLE. If you sign up after all places have been allocated you will be placed on the next seminar in a weeks time.
During the session there will be a live chat opportunity to ask questions and discuss answers, thoughts and opinions with other attendees.
The webinar will count for 1 point towards continual professional development.
|Course Dates||Time||Venue||Price||Webinar speaker||Register Now|
|Tuesday 24th of November 2015||8pm- 9pm||Online Webinar||$40||Paul Lagerman||[wp_cart_button name=”Priming our patients webinar” price=”$40″]|